Frequently Asked Questions

  - Shortcut to Common Zoning Questions

Q. Is the Maxatawny Township Zoning Ordinance available on line?
A. No. The ordinance is available for viewing at the Township during regular business hours; or may be purchased – $75 to pick up, $85 if you would like a mailed copy.
Q. Is the Maxatawny Township Zoning Map available on line?

A. No. The Zoning Map is available for viewing at the Township during regular business hours; or may be purchased: $10 for pick up, $12 if you would like a mailed copy.
Q. Do I need a zoning permit for a shed?
A. Yes. Any shed or building you proposed to place or build will require a permit. Usually, sheds or buildings accessory to a residence, if they are under 1000sf, will require a zoning permit – and those larger will require a zoning permit and a building permit. All will require stormwater control considerations.
Q. Do I need a permit to pave my driveway?
A. Yes, in most instances. If you are overlaying an existing driveway and working on that portion of the driveway that is within the road right of way, then you will need a permit and the application will need to show that the connection to the road meets all applicable standards, especially that any drainage ways be maintained to not direct more water onto the roadway or in any manner that will be detrimental to any surrounding properties. Note also, any time you propose to expand a driveway or any impervious surface (packed stone included), a permit shall be required.
If you are overlaying an existing driveway, but not overlaying the portion within the right of way, and you are not expanding the surface, then you may be exempt from permit. Call the Township Code office for specific questions in this regard.

Q. Does my project require stormwater control?
A. All new impervious surfaces, regardless of size, require stormwater control. Many times, and for most “small” projects, the exemption criteria may be used. This does not mean you are exempt from stormwater requirements, rather that you may use the standard infiltration bed (sized at 1-foot deep, and then based on the size of the project for surface area, general rule of thumb is that the surface area will be 10% the size of your proposed new impervious.) Otherwise, a stormwater design and testing is required.
Q. Is a stone driveway or parking area considered impervious?
A. Yes, regarding the Stormwater Ordinance, it is considered the same as a concrete or macadam surface.
Q. Does a fence require a zoning permit?
A. Yes.
Q. How far from a property line must a fence be set?
A. 2 feet, and nothing within a right of way.
Q. Does a pool require a permit? 

A. Yes, above ground, in ground and hot tubs all require permits.


Q. What septic pumping cycle am I in?
A. Your pumping cycle is based on the last digit in your street address.
      - ending in 0,1 and 2 is pumping cycle 1, due last in 2013, next in 2016, 2019, 2022...
      - ending in 3,4 and 5 pumping cycle 2, due last in 2014, next in 2017, 2020, 2023...
      - ending in 6,7,8 and 9 pumping cycle 3, due now in 2015, next in 2018, 2021, 2024..
Pumping cycles run July 1 to June 30 each year. So, for instance, the current cycle 3 will be considered compliant for any system pumped (by a hauler registered with the Township) between July 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015.
Q. Must septic pumpers / haulers be registered with Maxatawny Township?
A. Yes. Pumping reports from non-registered haulers are not accepted for compliance with pumping cycle requirements.
Q. If I pump my septic tank out of cycle, and then do not pump in the required cycle because it has been less than 3 years since the out of cycle pump, am in exempt from pumping?
A. No. You must pump in cycle with a registered hauler. (However, you may apply for a tank and system inspection. The application is available on line and at the Township office, the fee is $35 per.)
Q. Can the Township inspect my septic system instead of pumping?
A. Yes. The cost is $35 and there is a one page application form. The system will be visually inspected, by Township SEO, for damage and / or signs of malfunction, and the sludge in the septic tank will be measured. If there is less than 30% solids in the septic tank, you may be exempt from pumping for a time to be determined upon the tank measurement – often this will mean exemption until the next cycle – but not always. If there are more than 30% solids, you will need to have the tank pumped by a Township registered hauler within a set time frame, typically up to 30 days.


Maxatawny Township Office
127 Quarry Road, Suite 1
Kutztown, PA 19530
Phone: 610-683-6518

Quick Call
Fax: 610-683-3518
Email Us
Hours of Operation:
 - Mon – Thurs 7am-4pm and Fri 7am-11am
GPS: N 40.531635  W -75.735315